Tuesday, February 26, 2008

oh, let your little light shine


Shine
acrylic on hardboard
16"x20"
$140 + shipping (contact)


I'm posting two photos of this painting, since a little bit of glare helps to show the highly-textured background. I decided to push myself out of my comfort zone and experiment with painting the Nike statue sketched in a previous post. I envisioned a setting sun over the sea when I painted the background with a palette knife and decided to paint a transparent and abstracted image of the Nike statue over the background. I wanted to emphasize the color of the sea playing in the shadowy areas of her garments and wings, with the colors in the sky appearing in the highlights of her upper chest and shoulders. Scholars think the statue originally rested upon the prow of a ship that was placed a pool of water; the color and movement of the water reflecting from the bottom of the statue must have been beautiful.


Joni Mitchell's new album inspired the name of the painting.


Purchase with PayPal:













No comments: