Monday, August 23, 2010

The Great Gray Ghost

























The Great Gray Ghost
acrylic on gallery wrapped canvas
14" x 11" x 1.5"
Available for purchase at Carnation Corners, Carnation, WA


The weather has thankfully returned to normal after being above 90 for far too long...so it's finally a tolerable temperature in my studio again, and I'm getting caught up on painting. This particular piece is a departure from my usual four-legged subjects...I just had to paint that beautiful eye! That striking yellow-orange color is the actual hue of the owl's eye - I based the whole color scheme of the painting around it, accordingly. Iridescent gold paint is mixed in with the pigments.


The sea, the stars, the winds, the trees,
The stream, the waterfall, the dell,
The bird, the flowers, the meadow-bell--
I felt that all of these

Were but the symbols of a soul
Alive with hope or memory;
The mind's immortal harmony
That through its chambers stole.

And to the spirit's listening ear,
Whilst slept the limbs and senses all,
Made every thing seem musical;
How could I cease to hear?

-Christopher Pearch Cranch, from "The Music of Nature"

No comments: