Sunday, January 3, 2010

Dawn - SOLD

Dawn
28"x22"
acrylic on canvas
SOLD


Please pardon the light reflections in this picture...a better photo is forthcoming.

I've never been a morning person, but I've always wished I was - it's such a peaceful, beautiful time of day. I guess I just don't have Thoreau's same determination prior to sunrise, and I can't quite make myself enjoy an early morning as much as he did: "Every morning was a cheerful invitation to make my life of equal simplicity, and I may say innocence, with Nature herself. I have been as sincere a worshipper of Aurora [Dawn] as the Greeks. I got up early and bathed in the pond; that was a religious exercise, and one of the best things which I did. They say that characters were engraven on the bathing tub of King Tching-thang to this effect: 'Renew thyself completely each day; do it again, and again, and forever again.' I can understand that. Morning brings back the heroic ages."

For me, morning tends to mostly inspire a severe desperation for caffeine.


"And now Aurora was
leaving the saffron bed of Tithonus,
beginning to shower upon earth
the light of another day."
-Virgil, from Book IV of the Aeneid

No comments: