Tuesday, May 4, 2010

Sumner Demo

Prairie Sunset - Demo
16" x 20"
acrylic on canvas


Last night I had the pleasure of doing a painting demonstration for the Mountain Valley Art Club in Sumner, WA. This was the first demonstration I've ever been asked to do, and I'm really happy with how it went & am so thankful to the club for giving me this opportunity. Everyone in the club was absolutely wonderful - they had so many questions and were eager to see a technique that differed so greatly from their own. I talked a bit about why I picked up palette knives in the first place and showed them the three different gels I use most often (super heavy gloss gel, matte gel, and light molding paste). I discussed the two methods I tend to use when I paint - I either use only palette knives and create a more impressionistic piece, or I use a combination of knives and brushes to create more detailed pieces. I brought Relics along as an example of the latter, and I busted out a 10-minute 16" x 20" sunset to show them an example of the former. They really seemed to love seeing so much paint slopped on the canvas with the knives. I brought a spatula for good measure, too.

It was a great night and I absolutely loved meeting everyone & seeing some of their own artwork!

I think I might dress up the quick demo painting and re-post it.


No comments: