Wednesday, May 12, 2010

Work in progress and music


This painting is in its infancy and still needs a lot of work, but I thought I'd go ahead and post it in its awkward adolescent stage anyway.

I also want to share some music with you. I have a select assortment of albums that I listen to repeatedly while in the studio. For some reason, the prog-rock/new-agey stuff really seems to be conducive to painting for me. I'm a die-hard Beatles fan, but I've found that they don't really work as my painting soundtrack. So here's my top 5 list of albums that are on rotation in my studio:


1. Phil Collins - Hits
I've mentioned before that almost any creative block I have can be fixed by a little Phil Collins. I have no idea why. Maybe it's because of songs like this that fill my soul.





2. Genesis - Turn It On Again
This could really be lumped into the Phil Collins category, of course.





3. Pink Floyd - The Division Bell
Pink Floyd is my #2 band of all time. I know a lot of people aren't into the David Gilmour-period of the band, but I absolutely love it. His voice is amazing and his guitar playing still surpasses any other, in my mind.





4. Storyhill - Storyhill
This is the previously-mentioned acoustic folk-rock duo from Montana. I love them. Their music provides the perfect soundtrack to the Montana scenes I paint.





5. Joni Mitchell - Clouds
I love Joni. Love love love her. She's brilliant and resides in my all-time top 5 bands/musicians. She's also an accomplished painter - talk about being multi-talented.





And a bonus 6th... Brian Crain - A Simple Life
I came across Brian Crain at an arts fair in Coeur d'Alene, ID and fell in love with his music. He's a pianist and writes such sweet melodies.


No comments: